This is a guest blog by Meghan Doherty, our Content Marketing Specialist at HealthcareSource. Meghan is responsible for our educational content development pertaining to the HealthcareSource Quality Talent SuiteSM and manages our white papers, surveys, thought leadership webinars, social media channels, and the HealthcareSource Blog. Connect with Meghan on LinkedIn.
Facepalm moments. We’ve all had them. Whether you’re at home, at work, in line at the grocery store–something always seems to happen that could be described as a facepalm moment. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the term, I’ll defer to my trusty friend–Wikipedia. Wikipedia defines a facepalm as, “The physical gesture of placing one’s hand flat across one’s face or lowering one’s face into one’s hand or hands. The gesture is found in many cultures as a display of frustration, disappointment, embarrassment, shock, surprise, or sarcasm.” As a blogger, I had to do some research on the topic before I got started, so I reached out to a few clients to see if facepalm moments would resonate with them. Here’s an example of a response that I got back:
“OMG – resonate? All too well! I have already had about 10 facepalm moments today alone…”
Here are ten facepalm moments that I hope you can relate to as a healthcare HR professional:
1. You didn’t assess the new RN’s behavioral competencies and her manager just informed me that she is yelling at patients.
2. Your boss just told you the Joint Commission is here, and they need to see the employment file of every employee hired since 1994.
3. The recent grad in the marketing department took “Casual Friday” too literally and is dressed in flannel pajama pants.
4. You have to reschedule ALL of the Phlebotomy Department’s employee reviews due to a a massive snow storm.
5. You forgot to call the references for the new hire in Environmental Services, and he just quit on day one.
6. The candidate for an open accounting req won’t stop calling you to ask for an update on their application status.
7. Open enrollment season is here.
8. You just accidently deleted the folder containing ALL of your onboarding documents.
9. The Pharmacist Resident candidate brought their mom to the interview with them.