As a talent management professional, you know that directing your own learning and keeping up with industry trends can help you move ahead in your career. Unfortunately, you also know that with all your worries about employee career development for your healthcare organization, sometimes you forget to focus on your own. Here are three reasons to put yourself first and invest in your talent management career.
1. Loving Your Current Career Doesn’t Mean Stagnating There
Even if you really like where you are when it comes to your career, there’s always more you can do to push yourself and keep it interesting. Of course, that means you’ll need to invest in the career you want and enjoy. That investment can include going back to school, taking continuing education courses, getting additional certifications, attending conferences, and much more. When you go to conferences, for example, you learn about the latest and most current trends. That helps you find out what you know, and discover what you don’t know, about your career and the path you may be planning to take. It can also show you new ways to tackle challenges that could improve efficiencies and results.
2. Strategic Thinking Can Be the Key to Career Advancement
You need to think strategically about your own career development, just as you would for an employee. If you check with your organization, you may find that they will help you invest in your career because they want to keep you learning and working for them. They want to see you succeed, because when you succeed, they also benefit. Don’t be afraid to approach your employer about having them pay for professional courses, conferences, or anything else you need for career development. You may be surprised to find that all or part of the cost is covered. If not, at least you’ll know and you can pursue the learning you want on your own.
3. Your Career Development Makes Your Boss Look Good
While it is important to understand your organization’s stance on employee development, you also need to get your boss’s buy-in. He or she will likely need to approve the specific opportunities as well as any time away from the office. There is so much to be learned, that you (and your employer) don’t want to miss out on the value you can receive. Offer to bring what you learn back to the company by teaching others and implementing new processes.
Talent Symposium Can Boost Your Career Development
You don’t even have to look far to find career development opportunities. Consider Talent Symposium — the Annual HealthcareSource Conference. This conference offers several benefits for healthcare talent management professionals:
- The conference offers four days of intense training, including a strong opportunity to work directly with experts from the company.
- The networking value is high, with more than 350 healthcare talent management professionals in attendance.
- The ability to gain insight from other users and experts allows you to develop a plan for improving your own organization’s performance, recruitment, and learning management processes.
- There are vendor and partner exhibitions so you can learn about services and products that complement your efforts.
- You’ll have new ways to tackle any problems or challenges that you are already facing in your own organization.
- Attending the conference allows you to get the most out of any HealthcareSource software your organization already uses.
It is always a good time to start investing in your own career development. Remember that learning as much as you can helps you and your organization.